It is no news that the Lagos state government is really to roll out about 800 new BRT buses on Lagos roads. These buses will help to relieve Lagosians of the burden of transportation across the state.
Last year, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode said plans have been firmed up to roll out the Bus Reform Project of the State Government in March with 820 high and medium capacity buses, saying that the initiative would redefine public transportation and make the State to be globally competitive.
The Governor, who said this during an extensive inspection tour of ongoing projects across the State which lasted from morning till late in the night, said the initiative was basically designed to inject 5,000 buses, modern terminals, facilitate ease of mobility for residents and also rev up Lagos economy, among others.
The Lagos Bus Reform Initiative is aimed at giving Lagosians an integrated public transportation system. It would kick start this year with 820 buses for Phase 1A which is the Ikeja Transport Hub and it will cover places like Ikeja, Oshodi, Abule Egba, Ojota, Maryland and Pen-Cinema
These are some amazing facts about the new BRT Buses that not privy to the public…
1. All the buses are equipped with CCTV cameras
2. They have USB points where you can charge your phone, etc
3. All the buses have free wifi (internet) for all users
4. There is never a dull moment for passengers as the buses all come with TVs for news, sports, music, and entertainment.
5. There are special spaces for the physically challenged, pregnant women and the aged.
So, thinking of going on a tour? Maybe a BRT bus won’t be a bad idea.